Friday, April 20, 2012

Holding Back

This is going to be one of those posts that I look back at and mostly regret, I already know it.

So. The section leader lists came out today, and there was a name missing from it.

The trumpets get three section leaders, and while it was obvious who two of them were going to be, I sincerely believed it was going to be a coin flip for the third person.

So right now, I'm stuck between continuing to not comment on facebook or twitter about the section leader choices, artificially congratulating everyone, and openly saying that I think the absolute wrong choice was made. Luckily, this is not facebook or twitter, and I'm going to say exactly what I would if Dr. Vondran were to ask me how I felt about the choices.

While I respect you(Dr. Vondran) an immense amount, and I have faith that you know exactly what you're doing, I think you made the absolute wrong choice by picking Alec, and I'm going to do everything possible in my power for the next two weeks and next fall to prove that I was the better choice to work alongside Jared and Nick, and hopefully around this time next year, you look back and remember this conversation, as well as my attitude and work ethic though the fall 2012 semester.

Yeah, I did tell people that I was fairly confident that I would get the position, because if you don't have confidence if yourself then you sure as hell aren't going to get it, I also commented that I felt it really was a coin toss between him and I.
Alec on the other hand, decided to talk trash about me to my roommate for next year, who has been awkwardly distant the last few weeks, and possibly other people. That I'm a bad musician, unfocused, passive-aggressive, and that he's "100% sure that John wont get section leader". Additionally, he spoke poorly of one of the guys who was going to get the position without a doubt.
What were some of the negative things I said about Alec? He whines, a lot. I feel like anyone you ask would agree with that. What else did I say? Nothing in fact. Who did I say it to? Anyone who asked me my thoughts on who would get picked, not singling out people that are close to him.

I'd like to talk trash about Alec right now, as he saw fit to do about me, but I'm going to stay above that, it wont reflect the outlook that I have in life, nor speak well on behalf of my character. Instead, I'll end with a quote from one of the to-be section leaders, it's actually quite inspiring.

"I'm not going to march next year unless I get section leader."
-Alec Burke

That's the mentality of a true leader if I've ever seen one.

No comments:

Post a Comment