Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chimes In The Background

This week was kinda of painfully slow, even for a 4 day week.

I ended up thinking a lot about jobs this week too, not like a job now, but a real one. Even talked to Dave about it.
Yeah, I want to go with music. I pretty sure that's what I want to do. But there's some factors that go along side with it. I'm afraid I'm not going to enjoy playing nearly as much if it becomes my job, because it's not going to be what I do for fun, it's going to be what I do for money. That makes me take a step back. And the odds are, I'm not going to become some famous trumpet player that will make tons of money. It just doesn't happen. Society doesn't want to buy an album of just trumpet, they want people singing poorly into electronic pitch-correcting microphones. And if I don't get lucky and make it big with a group, all I'm left with is music education. I love band, but not enough to make it my job. The money's simply not in it.
I've essentially entirely ruled out cooking for a job as well. I don't want to be some lame cook in the back of a chain-restaurant that makes the same 25 dishes every day. I don't want to do that at all. I want to bake things in a situation that I control. And I even read up on internships for chefs and bakers. Basically, I will never have the time to do one. And chefs don't get to have time off. Think about it. You like to go out and be around in town, go out to eat on weekends, yes? Well, the chefs don't, the weekends are when they're busiest. And getting a good time off for Holidays? Somebody has to cook for all those other people going to with family to celebrate the Holidays.

*Sigh*
This has not been such a terrific week.
Started with Pancakes and Glitches, ending with me rethinking what I'll be doing for a living. Somewhere in the middle though, I got me a good dose of "sun", which kept me relaxed for a day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment