Friday, August 26, 2011

Snap Keep Real College

If you don't understand the title, then you're not cool enough to explain it to.

I've got about 90 minutes to kill before I need to head to my first class today, so I'm just kind of looking for something to fill the time. I moved around my morning for two things, skype, and the fact that now I've got marching band for two hours, and that a 45 minute workout in the morning isn't quite as important Mon/Wed/Fri. I kind of feel fantastic though, because all I ever want to do now is work out, and it's only been like a week, it's like that first good stretch after you wake up, except like whenever I want it.

I'm ok with my classes right now, even though I feel like I'm already way behind in everything. I don't like environmental law and policy that much, mainly because the room is so hot that it makes me feel sick, and my leadership communication class kind of sucks too, the professor(the only one that I have that isn't a Doctor) treats us like we're little kids, and says certain words really weird, and has a big gap in her front teeth. Otherwise, she seems alright. It's nice having lecture hall style classes, it's what I wanted in college, to be able to take it upon myself to learn the material, and not have to rely on an instructor that sucks like they did at Anderson.

Marching Band is fantastic. They're still writing me into the show, so I only get to hop in like every third run or so and it's just for a minute or two, otherwise I'm on the sidelines playing for now. I was the 20th trumpet, and then some other guy joined, bumping it up to 21, which actually upset the section because they enjoy even numbers. I was requested to join their facebook group too, and I saw they had a two day discussion about me. I also saw that next Friday there's a "sectional" at one of the upperclassmen's apartment, I'm looking forward to it, especially because theres, I think, 6 or 7 guys in the section. A bulk of the marching band itself is female, it blew my mind.

Two things have come up that I remember hating. Listening to a section leader(I have three for BSU Pride) and having to start from scratch reputation wise. During Statesmen(male chorus) the guy next to me asked if I knew which part was the second tenor, like seriously asked me if I knew what part to look at. I almost made a really rude comment because I was insulted, then remembered I have no reputation or credibility here. And at Pride the other new guy was talking down to me. I'm playing 3rd trumpet for now, but I anticipate that changing, because just sight-reading I was playing better than them. It's not even hard music. But the other new guy was playing just a ton of wrong notes, and then asked if I had ever seen a marching band before. Whoa, hold up. And then I almost made another really rude comment, and remembered my lack of credibility and reputation. That's gonna be my downfall in life, is having to rebuild my credibility every time I go somewhere new. And while we were on the sidelines we were chatting a little bit, and he joined because he needed an ensemble, and couldn't understand why I joined for fun. Then pretty much went on a spiel about what a horn dog he is, without saying it. Yeah, sure, I can dig the male:female ratio in the section, but it's not worth a 15 minute conversation you ass.

One day, the things I write on here are really gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

Nothing else worth mentioning. Well, that's a lie, there's a few other things going on that are pretty neat, but I don't quite have the words yet to put anything on here yet. I'll just say that I'm looking forward to the next time that everyone is back in Westfield on some kind of break, which will most likely be Thanksgiving unless I feel like going for a drive. And with that, I might have just said enough :p.

No comments:

Post a Comment