Sunday, March 20, 2011

"Friends" For Now

Any college kid can tell you that having to make an entirely new group of friends kind of sucks, I'm no exception to that population.

Tonight just reminded me of that. I went from a week of being with the people that, for the most part, I've known for like a third of my life, the people that I know really well, to the people I've only know for maybe 7 or 8 months, and haven't had the chance to get to know yet.

I got back, and I was kind of excited to see some of these guys, and we all decided we were hungry and went out for some Chinese food, and it was pretty cool. And then they started talking that they wanted to go smoke some hookah, so that's where they're all at right now. They invite me time after time, and they know I wont go. Tonight one of them tried to change my mind, about how it burns at a low enough temperature that there isn't any tar released that will collect in your lungs. That might be true, but you're just inhaling flavored syrup instead, pretty close to the consistency of tar if you ask me.

But on top of the hookah, they wanted to go buy a bunch of spice because it's so much stronger than pot. I really just had nothing to say at all.

I feel like I'm a fun guy, and I break plenty of rules, but I feel like such a goody-goody when I tell them I don't want to go smoke spice. Gonna get plastered? Sure I'll come along. Wanna go trespass at 3 in the morning? I'm there. Need to steal some traffic cones? I've got shotgun. But there's just something about smoking anything that just completely turns me off. I tell them all it's because I don't want my lungs jacked up because I play trumpet, but that's really not it at all. I just don't see any enjoyment in the whole thing.

I couldn't tell these people that, I have to go on about my lung capacity and trumpet and whatnot, because they wouldn't accept that I don't want to because I don't. The people from Westfield would get that, and it just really gets to me how social structures change when you get to college, I'm still not used to it.

Like, the people that agree with me are the ones that look like a goody-goody from a mile away, and wouldn't ever dare do something they could get in trouble for. But I'm not one of those, I fit in with the other crowd. But then it comes to times like these and I don't fit in with them either and it's just, ugh.

I don't know how they do it, it's a Sunday night, and granted it's still "technically" spring break, I for one have a shit ton of stuff that's due tomorrow, and I'm sure they do too. I just don't get how they pull it off.

But whatever. I have 5-6 more weeks left here and then I'm home free.

No comments:

Post a Comment