I still remember freshman year, and how long everything seemed to take, band for instance. My freshman band camp seemed to take like 2 months. This year it didn't even phase me. The evening rehearsals were such a drag. Now I don't even notice them. The saturday morning call times were once unbearable. They're a normal part of life now, and I hardly notice them. The days that Im at the school for 14+ hours are starting again too, and it doesn't feel like Im there that long at all. High School living has pretty much become my life. My life so much in fact that I don't want it to end, ever. I've worked myself such a nice niche in life right now, I don't want to have to start fresh, ever. Just, everything I can think of is like perfect, and the things that aren't perfect don't even come close to things that are.
Like last night.
It was a good friends birthday party, a party that I have attended for 3, maybe 4 years in a row now. Food, music, fire, golf cart, hot tub. It pretty much rocked. Last year it pretty much rocked as well, the year before not so much just because I didn't know people.
And his party also signified something kind of super important in my personal life. It reminded me of exactly what I was doing a year ago, who I was friends with, who I liked, who I didn't like what I thought was fun and wasn't fun and everything from A to B.
Something else too.
A year ago I was chasing someone who would later make me and my best friend get into a huge disagreement, and make the months after terribly awkward, and eventually lead to the loss of the friendship on the person I was chasing. Im kind of super glad that happened that way, because once it was resolved I was better friends with him, and turns out she's pretty much a crazy psycho bitch.
This year was different, though not exactly in a good way or bad way, but a way that made things really fun. Noticeably, to myself, there was a stand-still race going on. I must have run out of thinking power just then, because I can't find a way to put this into an analogy or some kind of metaphor, just flat out names and facts. So maybe someone will end up getting the low-down on the winner of the stand-still race or maybe I'll find the colorful word play that is currently eluding me.
AAAAnd.
I have a college job lined up already, that pays well, is flexible, and is something that I love. The problem being, I have no idea where Im going to end up going for college, and if I want this job I need to stay within like 2 hours of Westfield.
Mr. Sands would love to have me stay around and help with the band, and I would love to do so.
His concern though, is that he wants a year of separation between myself and the current Juniors. I can see the logic, but I can see how that totally doesn't apply to me.
Because of the fact that I am who I am, I don't think I will need to worry about it.
The band as a whole already listens to me and whatever I have to say, but Mr. Sands thinks that because it will be another year with me around, people will just think, Oh it's just John, I don't have to listen to him. I don't see that happening, but whatever. His second thing is that he wants new leaders to step up and fill the void, which quite honestly is impossible to fill my void. But I see what he means with that too. But I would be working with the concert band at the very least, the underclassmen, and I hope the marching band. He did not say flat out that Next year I would be paid, but said there was money in the band boosters budget. But he quite bluntly said that two years from now I would be a full-staff member with pay and what not, without a doubt.
I wouldn't just be working with the trumpets, but with the entire brassline, and my title would be The Brass Lieutenant, his words not mine, which is freaking bad ass.
So good day yesterday. Solid job offer, stand-still races. Hoping to make today a good day, find my vocabulary skills again to finish my thought two paragraphs ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment